One holiday desserts I miss from my gluten and dairy consuming days is pumpkin cheesecake. It has so much dairy, I never thought I could reproduce it in a dairy-free version. I missed it so much, I decided to give it a try. I am not a big soy advocate but for now, the only decent dairy-free cream cheese and sour cream options we have on the market are by Tofutti and are soy based. Desperate for my pumpkin cheesecake fix, I decided to experiment with the soy based products. The results were stunning. I was very happy with both the taste and texture. You just can’t imagine how happy this makes me. I’ll walk you through some of the steps of making the cheesecake. I have featured the full recipe at the end of this post. Have fun with it. I suggest preparing it a day ahead and refrigerating it.
For the cheesecake filling, along with the Tofutti non-dairy cream cheese, I used organic pumpkin puree, So Delicious Pumpkin Spice non-dairy coconut milk (instead of evaporated milk) and pumpkin pie spice in instead of cinnamon and nutmeg.
This year, I experimented with making mini cheesecakes with the super cool mini cheesecake pan. I found it at Draeger’s Market in Blackhawk, California.
I decided to top the mini cheesecakes with candied pecans. I used this recipe by Elana Amsterdam. Candied Pecans by Elana’s Pantry. I used coconut palm nectar instead of yacon syrup (see below).
Enjoy the holiday season and remember to be kind to your body!
- Serves 16
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gluten-free graham crackers
- 1/4 cup granulated organic sugar (you can use coconut palm sugar instead)
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance spread
- CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 3 - 8 ounce tubs of Toffuti brand non-dairy cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated organic sugar (you can use coconut palm sugar)
- 1/4 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cup (15 or 16 oz can) organic gluten-free pumpkin puree (you can also use homemade puree)
- 2 eggs, sightly beaten
- 1/3 cup So Delicious brand Pumpkin Spice Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons organic corn or tapioca starch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice or 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups (16 oz) Toffuti brand non-dairy sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free certified vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- FOR CRUST:
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a mixer using the paddle attachment.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch spring-form pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6 minutes. Do brown the crust.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- FOR CHEESECAKE:
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy with an electric mixer using the paddle attachment and then add the sugars beating thoroughly.
- Add pumpkin puree, eggs and pumpkin spice milk and beat until well blended.
- Add cornstarch, pumpkin spice and then pour onto prepared, cooled crust.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. The edges should be set but the center will move slightly.
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- Mix non-dairy sour cream with sugar and vanilla.
- While cheesecake is warm, spread the sour cream mixture over surface of baked pumpkin cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then cool on wire rack.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Use a butter knife to release the edges of the cake from the pan and remove the side ring.
- Top with toasted or candied chopped pecans (optional)